Saturday, August 4, 2012

Concert Review: Brian Free & Assurance, the Perrys, and Jason Crabb

A couple Saturday's ago, I was able to attend an outdoor concert where the Perrys, Brian Free and Assurance, and Jason Crabb were all featured artists. It was an awesome night,  especially since I went with several people from my church and a friend from way out in New Mexico. The concert was held at the Bill Monroe Music Park in Bean Blossom, IN.

Perrys - The Perrys were the hosts for the event, and they sang first. They started out with "Every Time I Need Him," which is fun to hear both live and on a CD. Here's a list of some of the songs they sang:

  • Every Time I Need Him
  • His Love Lights the Way
  • Great Is Thy Faithfulness
  • I Know It Was the Blood
  • The Holy Hills of Heaven
  • He Will Hide Me
  • Blue Skies Coming (?)
  • Precious Jesus, Hold My Hand
Unfortunately, I can't think of the rest of the songs. I forgot to take paper to take notes. :) I was impressed though with the good spirit that was there during several of the Perry's songs.

Brian Free & Assurance - Brian Free & Assurance put on the best performance of the night in my opinion. They're an all-male quartet, which I think gives them an edge over other performers, plus they have a lot of upbeat songs that are really fun to listen to. Here's a list of the songs that I can remember. :)

  • First Day In Heaven
  • Go Tell the World
  • You Must Have Met Him
  • The Part Where You Come In
  • Guard Your Heart
  • Long As I Got King Jesus
  • I Want to Be That Man
  • Just a Little Talk With Jesus

There were others but I can't remember them all. ;)

I've never cared that much for BF&A in the past, but seeing them live and buying their new CD really improved my opinion of them. They're one of my favorite male quartets now. I think Jeremy Lile is one of the best bass singers in Gospel music. And of course everybody knows what Brian Free can do. The group sounds really good together right now, and I hope none of the current members leave anytime soon. :)

Jason Crabb - I know that Jason Crabb is a very popular soloist right now. I believe he won an award for being the best singer in all of Gospel music. I found it amusing that during intermission, the line for his table was very long, stretching well out of the shelter house, while the lines for the other tables (Singing News, BF&A, Perrys, and a local radio station, WYGS) were comparatively teensy.

With that being said, I have to say that I don't care for his style of music. I like him as a person (I haven't met him, but he was funny and has a cool personality), but I don't like his music or performance, one reason being that the style of music he does isn't really Southern Gospel, but more country gospel or contemporary Christian. Another reason is that I don't usually like soloists as well as groups.

On a sidenote, the live band gave him more flexibility than he would have had if he had just used soundtracks, but the music wasn't as complex. (the music consisted of drums, bass, keyboard [either piano or organ], and, on some songs, his guitar)


Comments:
Anyway, it was a great night. I bought BF&A's new CD, Nothing But Love, which I got autographed by all the guys in the group! :)

The winner of the talent search sang after intermission. It was a male soloist who sang a fast song that I didn't like, and then sang "These Are They" which was good. I think he won $500.

The next concert that I may get to attend (still unsure) is Saturday night of NQC! I'm very excited about this as I have never been to NQC before. They have a great lineup of artists on Saturday night. (Collingsworth Family, Kingdom Heirs, Kingsmen, ect.) Perhaps I'll see some of my readers there. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment