Tuesday, September 4, 2012

CD Review: Tribute Quartet "Our Anthem"


God’s Gonna Send a Revival - Tribute starts out the album singing an accapella version of the classic hymn “Revive Us Again.” After about 23 seconds, the music kicks in, and the group launches into the upbeat title song, “God’s Gonna Send A Revival.” Instrumentally, the song bears several similarities to the song “I’ve Been Blessed” on Tribute’s 2009 release For This Time. This song is a lot faster though.

Thank the Lord - The tone of this song is a little softer, although the tempo is still pretty fast. I enjoyed the choice of instruments that were used. The strings provided a nice touch, keeping the song from being too jazzy, while preserving the quicker pace.

Good News From Jerusalem - This song received high praise from Daniel Mount on the Southern Gospel Blog. He felt that this is the song that Tribute needs to get people’s attention. It is an excellent track, although I don’t think I enjoyed it quite as much as he did. Stylistically, it reminds me of songs like “He’s Alive” by the Gaither Vocal Band or “ Worth of It All” by the Browns.

Homesick Angel - The concept of this song is rather interesting. It pictures our guardian angels being homesick for Heaven, and when we die we’ll sail away on their wings to “the master’s table,” and they’ll finally get to go home. The Daryl Williams Trio sang this several years ago on their 2007 release, Marching, which was also released on the Sonlite Records label. I’ve always enjoyed hearing this song, and hearing Tribute cover it was a nice surprise.

Leavin’ On My Mind - I know this is a pretty well-known Southern Gospel classic, but I believe this is the first time I’ve actually heard it. I have to be in the right mood to enjoy it as it’s a little slow and quiet for my tastes.

The Time Is Now - This song has an intro, part of which, is similar to Ernie Haase & Signature Sound’s song "I’ve Been Here Before." I say that to let you know the sound of the song. The styles are pretty similar. Basically, the message here is that there are lost people, and the time to go share the gospel with them is right now

With Just a Little - You know the kids song “God Makes a Lot of a Little”? Well, this is the Southern Gospel equivalent of that song. I don’t feel that this will be one of Tribute’s more popular songs. It’s about average as far as fast songs go, and they’ve done better. I do enjoy hearing the banjo and some of the other instruments that are featured though.

Through Me, the Cross Lives On - This is the only power ballad on this album. I think the project would have benefited from at least a couple more. As far as the music and the song itself goes, this track is great. But it’s basically a solo by Josh Singletary. It would have been a lot better with all the guys singing together more.

It Always Get the Darkest (Just Before Daylight) - This is another great up-tempo song, just as good as “God’s Gonna Send a Revival” or “Thank the Lord.” But I have to wonder what it would have sounded like as a big brassy number, like some of the songs that Brian Free & Assurance have. It’s definitely a great song as it is, but I just wonder if it could have been even better.

Better Farther On - Very slow, very quiet song. I hear piano, light drums, and acoustic guitar. I think it’s a nice song, but I could see a lot of people not particularly caring for it. I like it myself.

Comments:
I feel that the Tribute Quartet needs a stronger song selection for future albums. “Homecoming Day” was the main feature of their last album, The Waiting Is Over. This album provided a few standout songs, mainly “Good News From Jerusalem.” But it seems that albums like For This Time (2009) and Anticipation (2007) had songs that did better than some of the more recent ones. I don’t think people are going to say “wow, this song is totally amazing!” for most of the tracks. Still though, it’s a good CD and has a lot of up-tempo numbers that are fun to listen to. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what Tribute does next year.

CD Rating: 4 stars
Favorite Songs: “God’s Gonna Send a Revival,” “Thank the Lord,” “Good News From Jerusalem”
Main Styles: Southern Gospel

Review copy provided by Crossroads Records

0 comments:

Post a Comment