Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Whisnants - "More Than Enough" Review

Oh It Is Jesus - Starting out the latest addition to the Whisnant's music is a medium-fast song (penned by Jim Brady) with a bit of a country flavor.  This, personally, isn't my favorite style of music (you'll have to listen to it to know what I mean), but it's still a great song.  It probably won't be remembered as a classic though.  4 stars

All Is Well - Glancing at the song titles on the back of the album, you might think that this is a faster-paced song, like Greater Vision did in My Favorite Place or the Perrys in Look No Further.  (different songs with the same title)  However, it's a slow ballad with powerful orchestration.  It sounds absolutely awesome.  Near the end, part of the chorus from the old hymn "It is Well With My Soul" is sung.  I give this song (written by Melissa Brady) a 5 star rating.  This is one of the best ballads from More Than Enough.


God Settled It All - The intro of "God Settled It All" has a very progressive feeling, and some of that even carries into the rest of the song.  The music has some similarities to "King Jesus Is Coming," from one of the Whisnant's previous albums.  This is a really great up-tempo number, and should make a great concert hit.  Written by Amy Shellem and Daryl Williams, this is probably a different song than you first assumed it would be.  5 stars.


I'm Trusting the Blood - The group slows down the pace with this ballad, written by Joel Hemphill.  The music is much lighter than, say, "All Is Well" or "I Will Glory in the Cross."  It's a very nice song to listen to when you're in the mood for something more relaxed.  4 stars


He's Living Today - I assume this is the group's new radio single, since it's the only full song on their website homepage.   It's a great number with a great use of the brass and strings sections.  And the harp (I believe that's what it is) is nice too.  I think it will work well for radio, but it wouldn't have been my first pick.  On a side note, it appears that they used a very small part of the hymn "He Lives" as a tag at the end.  3.5 stars


I'll Trust the Potter's Hand - Here's another ballad for those of you who like peaceful songs.  Once again, not my favorite style.  The music has a slightly more serious feel than "I'm Trusting the Blood."  Susan takes the lead, much the same as Libbi Stuffle did in the Perry's radio hit "The Potter Knows the Clay." (Look No Further)  3 stars


Are You Ready - Written by Monty Lane Allen, "Are You Ready" does not bear any resemblance to Gold City's song.  The music is much faster and jazzier.  This is a "feel-good" kind of song, although it doesn't compete with the other up-tempo numbers from this project.  3.5 stars.


I Will Glory in the Cross - The Whisnant's do a good job with this song, which was penned by Dottie Rambo.  A ballad of course, with lots of heavy orchestration.  It is longer than any of the other songs (5:26) which probably means you won't hear it on your local gospel station, at least not anytime soon.  "In the Cross" makes a nice bridge about 3/4 of the way through.  4 stars


Weapon of Prayer - "Weapon of Prayer" is not my type of song.  It's not fast, but sort of medium-slow.  And the music leaves much to be desired.  I suppose it's not all as bad as I'm making it out to be.  It has some neat lyrics (although I think they should have mentioned more specific weapons [e.g. shotgun, bow, AK-47])  My favorite lines are:
"I have a weapon I know how to use."

and:

"Resisting the devil doesn't mean I should run, I cannot expect him to lay down his guns."
3 stars


Ready Medley - This medley includes "Ready to Leave," "I'm Getting Ready to Leave This World," and "Goodbye World Goodbye."   Of course anytime a group sings that last one, we always hear a lot from the brass instruments.  This is a fun, happy song to listen to, with very fast tempo.  4 stars


Burn the Boat - This is the best song on More Than Enough in my opinion.  At first the tempo is slow, but as we get to the chorus it speeds up some.  The lyrics are great, with a really good message.  It was penned by Dianne Wilkinson, and produced by Mylon Hayes.  (He did an incredible job!)  This should definitely be one of the radio singles.  It surpasses a lot of the other songs.  The rating is easily 5 stars.

Final Comments:  I would definitely recommend this CD to a friend.  None of the songs are too "progressive" (such as a lot of the numbers Brian Free & Assurance or the Gaither Vocal Band do)  The Whisnants stick close to the Southern Gospel style, while still giving some variety.  There are only two or three songs that I don't really care for.  The Whisnants are one of the best family/mixed groups in Southern Gospel music (along with the Collingsworth and the Perrys to name a couple), and their producers Lari Goss, Jim Brady, and Mylon Hayes did an excellent job handling the music.  Their latest addition to the SG world doesn't disappoint, a definite must-buy.  This is a 5-star project.

Radio Picks: Burn the Boat, All Is Well, God Settled It All, I Will Glory in the Cross

0 comments:

Post a Comment