Friday, December 30, 2011

Review: Triumphant Quartet "Songs From the Heart"


Be of Good Cheer - This is a great starter to the album!  It’s an upbeat fast song, with a great variety of instrumentation.  I love the mix of strings and guitars.  This is the Triumphant Quartet at their best.  Eric Bennett and Kirk Talley created a winner here.

Thank You Lord - This is a little more serious-sounding song than the last, although the pace is still pretty fast.  I absolutely love the tune to the chorus.  Clayton Inman wrote this one.  Once again, I hear strings, as well as electric keyboard and regular piano.  I believe I also heard just a little bit of brass, but not much.

Praying For Me - This song is average.  Not awesome.

When It’s All Said and Done - I believe the first time I heard this song was on the Gospel Greats program with Paul Heil.  The Kingsmen were singing it, and I loved it.  When I finally obtained a copy of it, though, I didn’t care for it as much as I had when I heard it the first time.  I like the Triumphant Quartet’s arrangement much better than the Kingsmen version (from Missing People).  Everything from the music to the vocals is better.  It was written by Scotty Inman and Dustin Sweatman, and I’m glad they decided to include it on the project.

Streets of Gold - Written by Jeff Stice, this up-tempo track is fun and slightly jazzy.  These guys really know how to write good music for their lyrics.  The chorus is probably my favorite tune, although the verses are outstanding as well.

When the Rapture Comes My Way - No Christian should be afraid of the rapture, but they should have the attitude of “Let the rapture come my way” as this song says.  Of course there should be a sense of apprehension because of unsaved friends and family.  This is a great song as well.

God Works All Things For Good - This song, IMO, isn’t outstanding, but it’s all right.  It’s a lighter down-tempo ballad with guitars and violins making up a noticeable part of the soundtrack.  It’s really not a bad song, but it wouldn’t be the one that I would mention when recommending the CD.

Almost Home - While I can enjoy some rockier songs, this is not one of them.  It’s a little too loud and energetic for me.  It has the same type of backbeat that is used in songs like “That Little Baby” by the Kingdom Heirs. (I know, it was sung by Gold City as well)  It has some handclapping (which I don’t particularly care for usually in songs) and loud brass sections.

Goin’ Up to Heaven - This fits in with my musical preferences a little better than the last.  It’s still not as good as some of the other fast songs, but it’s good nonetheless.  It was written by Clayton Inman.

Let’s All Stand Up For America - This song is rather majestic sounding with big orchestration.  Once again, it’s not my favorite, but it’s not bad.

Comments:
Songs From the Heart is the Triumphant Quartet at their best.  It’s no wonder they’re so popular right now!  I was talking to a friend a little while back about them, and he was raving about them and their Love Came Calling CD.  I was like “nah, they’re OK, but not that good,” but I hold a different opinion now.  While Love Came Calling wasn’t as good as it could have been, I can’t see many ways that this project could be improved!  The ballads aren’t, IMHO, first class material, but most of the fast songs are exceptional.  I would whole-heartedly recommend this CD to any Southern Gospel fan.

I received this CD as a Christmas present, and the family member that got it for me purchased it on Springside.com.  I’ll go ahead and give them a little publicity right now.  They sent the package first-class, I believe, without any extra cost so it could arrive before Christmas.  While the CD prices are a little high (you can get some CDs for a cheaper price on ChristianBook.com), the shipping speed was terrific.  If you want outstanding service, buy from Springside.  Anyway, I was not paid or asked to say this, but I thought I’d throw it in anyway.

CD Rating: 4.5-5 stars
Favorite Songs: “Be of Good Cheer,” “Thank You Lord,” “Streets of Gold,” “When the Rapture Comes My Way,” “When It’s All Said and Done”

Review copy not provided

0 comments:

Post a Comment