Monday, July 16, 2012

CD Review: Brian Free & Assurance "Nothing But Love"


Nothing But Love - Fun and upbeat, this song speaks of the singer feeling love and grace when he thinks of the sins he has committed and how God forgave him. The organ adds a nice touch to a great beat and a nice brassy sound. 5 stars

It’s Quite a Valley - “It’s quite a valley, but nothing he won’t bring you through.” Written by Lee Black and Kenna Turner West, this song is pure awesomeness. :) It fits better into the contemporary christian category than Southern Gospel. It would be a great song for radio. 5 stars

If the Lord Says Do It - This is one of those fast, hard-driving songs that doesn’t let up until the very end. It reminds me a little of “I’m a Brand New Man” by the Kingdom Heirs. Jeremy Lile takes both verses, making the song even better. He’s a very talented singer, one of my favorite bass singers I think. 4.5 stars



I Will Be Praying - This song is a little too rock-ish in my opinion. It’s kind of fun to listen to, but the beat is pretty heavy. I like the lyrics. 3.5 stars

Guard Your Heart - I first heard this song live, a couple of days after the group started selling Nothing But Love at their product table. It warns us to guard our heart, to lock the door and hide the key from the enemy. The strings are a nice touch as some of the other songs include guitars, a heavy beat, and synthesizers, but miss the more classical sound. 4 stars

There Is Power - Another song that leans heavily toward the contemporary sound. I did enjoy listening to it, and I liked that the group decided to sing the chorus to “There Is Power In the Blood.” 4.5 stars

Calvary’s Cry - I don’t have much to say about this song. I didn’t enjoy it as much as some of the others but it’s still good. This is for those that enjoy ballads that aren’t progressive. It sounds slightly synthesized, but not too much. 4 stars

You Can Be a Bridge - This song reminds me of some of the songs on the 2007 Real Faith project, songs like “Prayin’ Man,” “I Keep Looking Up,” “The Biggest Step,” and “You’ve Got to Pray.” It’s very rocky and will probably be a big concert hit. 2.5-3 stars

I Want to Be That Man - This is the other song from this project that I first heard live. I had to think of the Sherwood Pictures (christian) movie Courageous when I heard this. This would have been a perfect song to play for that. While it’s not overly contemporary, the synthesizer and drums lend some of that feeling. 4.5 stars

Revival - This song could almost feel out of place on this album. Up until now the songs have been mainly contemporary-ish, but this adds a touch of…something else. Not quite country, but something similar. The song pleads for revival, and says “let it start with me.” 3.5 stars.

Comments:
Up until a few days ago, I haven’t been a huge fan of Brian Free & Assurance. But seeing them live in concert really improved my opinion of the group.

Nothing But Love is a great album, and I’m glad I decided to go ahead and buy it. (I also got it autographed!!) I wouldn’t recommend it though for people who don’t enjoy a more contemporary feeling.

CD Rating: 4.5 stars
Favorite Songs: “It’s Quite a Valley,” “If the Lord Says Do It,” “Guard Your Heart,” “I Want to Be That Man”
Main Styles: Contemporary Christian

Review copy not provided.

0 comments:

Post a Comment