Thursday, October 20, 2011

Review: Assurance "Holy Is Thy Name"

Pros:

  • The group has great harmony.  You can really tell when they sing accapella on songs like "Blessed Assurance."
  • While there's not very many up-tempo numbers, the few that are included are good.  "Blood-Washed Band" is the best fast song, and the best version I've ever heard.

Cons:

  • The project would have benefited from more fast songs.  There were only two, which is a pretty poor number when compared with 7-8 ballads.
  • The percussion section needs to be louder, and perhaps used more than it is.
  • There are quite a few songs on this project that have been sung by major groups (Legacy Five, the Hoppers, the Cathedrals)  However, I'm not sure if this should be considered a negative element, because the songs are really good, and sound different (and in most cases) better than the other versions.


Notes:
The music is very "guitar based."  It provides a unique sound, one that isn't captured very often by Southern Gospel groups.  It's sort of refreshing, although I do miss the orchestration on some songs.  ;)

I would have made several changes if I had created the CD, but the producers did a good job with what they decided to put in.  This is a nice CD to listen to when you're kind of burned out with your regular collection.  If you want something lighter, consider Holy Is Thy Name.

CD Rating: 4 stars
Song Selection: 3 stars
Favorite Songs: Blood Washed Band, I Have Seen the Light, Redemption Draweth Nigh, I've Got That Old Time Religion (There are a couple others, but these are probably the best)

Track List: Blessed Assurance, Blood Washed Band, Haven of Rest, His Name is Wonderful, Holy Is Thy Name, I Believe in the Old Time Religion, I Have Seen the Light, I Am, I've Got That Old Time Religion, Redemption Draweth Nigh 


(NOTE: I don't have a list of the title tracks, so some of the titles are named from lines in the song, but may, in reality, be different.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment