Monday, October 17, 2011

Review: Browns "More"


Good Enough - I believe that "Good Enough" is the first song by the Browns that I'd ever heard.  I listened to it on the radio, and thought that I'd like to get it.  Imagine my surprise, when a bit later I logged onto SouthernGospelBlog.com, saw their review of "Now," visited the Brown's website and heard the song.  :)
It's a fast song, with a fun country flavor.  The words speak of not wanting to go to Heaven because of the luxury and beauty, but rather because Jesus is there.  This is a fairly common theme (as well as seeing Jesus before anything else), used in songs like "First Thing's First," "If Jesus Is There," and "Look For Me At Jesus' Feet."  5 star song

Nothing Is Impossible ­- I don't care much for how the male soloist sings.  He kind of reminds me of Jason Crabb.  The female soloist needs to tone down too.  The message, though, is good.  It talks about a failing business, bad news from the doctor, a modern day prodigal, a judge taking away freedom, a foreclosure, the grip of addiction, ect., reminding us that with God nothing is impossible.  The end of the chorus provide us with some interesting lyrics:

Unbelieveable, inconceivable, infeasable, unachieveable, unbearable, unattainable, unreachable (x2) unthinkable, with God, nothing is impossible.


Somebody had to be using a thesaurus.  :)  3 stars

Beautiful Day - Jazzy, fun, song, that moves along at a good pace.  The soloist's voice is very resemblant of one of the members in the Tribute Quartet (sorry, I don't know his name)  5 stars

Worth of It All - Wow, this is a good song.  It's not slow, but it's not what you imagine when you think fast.   It reminds me of "He's Alive" by the Gaither Vocal Band, except it doesn't get so "progressive" at the chorus.  It's a great Easter song.  If you were listening to it in a movie, you would probably call it suspenseful.  And majestic?  I'm not sure quite how to describe it, but it's really good.  5 stars

Joyful Medley - This is an instrumental number.  It's supposed to be a medley, but the only song I could positively identify was "Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee."  Commenting on the music, I think the song has a pretty contemporary feel to it with the drums and guitars and some other unknown instrument.  Violins?  It's very enjoyable to listen to.  5 stars

Put Your Hand In the Hand - Some of the lyrics to "Put Your Hand In the Hand" are kind of cheesy and funny at the same time.  For example the first verse says something to the effect of:
Mama taught me how to pray before the age of seven.  It was on my knees that I was closest to Heaven.
It's a very fun fast song, although one of the singers (the "Tribute Quartet" guy I think) ruined the ending with an obnoxious "Ohhh, yeeaaahh."  5 stars

Silent For Me - This isn't really the "Easter" feel type song, at least not in the sense that "Worth of It All" was, but it still has the message.  It tells the story of Pilate questioning Jesus.  It states that when the soldiers mocked him [Jesus], and when Pilate interrogated him, he was silent for me.  Pretty heavy orchestration, my type of song.  :)  4 stars

Everywhere I Go - This is the same song that the Liberty Quartet sang on the album Say It Again.  This version is shorter, faster, and is probably better all the way around.  4.5 stars

My Child Is Coming Home - When I listen to this track, it reminds me of another song, but I can't think of what that other song is.  It has a slight musical resemblance to "Light From Heaven" by the Collingsworth Family, but I think there might be a more obvious comparison.  Anyway, the orchestration is heavy, again, and majestic sounding.  It does not have the same theme as Greater Vision's "Another Child's Coming Home" but is about Christian's going to Heaven, rather than prodigal's coming back to their families.  4 stars

Rained Out - This is the rockiest song on "Now."  A lot of songs about Noah, rain, water, ect., tend to be up-tempo, but "Rained Out" isn't just fast-paced.  It might have been fine if the singers would have seriously toned down, but for some reason, I guess they thought that they had to act like some un-Godly country star.  I've said it before, I'll say it again, we're supposed to be listening to Southern Gospel, not the Rolling Stones.  I'm not adverse to performers utilizing some other musical styles, but the Browns crossed a line.

Grace Became Amazing to Me - This is a lighter ballad.  Kind of "cheerful" sounding.  There are a couple of other songs that change the words "grace" and "amazing" around to make different song titles.  "Oh How Amazing is Amazing Grace," by the Hoppers and "That's What Makes Grace Amazing."  Perhaps it's time for a different theme idea.  ;)   4 stars

Comments:
The Browns managed to make a 14 song album with a lot of solid songs.  From the more serious set "Worth of It All" to the fast barn-burner, "Put Your Hand In the Hand."  Even though it had a lot of good tracks, I don't think I would buy it.  Find it on the internet, borrow it from a friend, but save your money for a release from one of the bigger artists.

Album Rating: 4 stars
Song Selection: 4 stars
Favorite Songs: Put Your Hand in the Hand, Joyful Medley, Worth of It All, Good Enough, Beautiful Day

0 comments:

Post a Comment