Thursday, October 27, 2011

Review: Tribute Quartet "The Waiting Is Over"


Songs of Zion - Starting out relatively slow, “Songs of Zion” gets faster halfway through the intro.  It could be compared to Greater Vision’s “No Longer Chained” although the music on this track has more instrumentation.  This is a nice fast song.  It’s not as happy perhaps as “Bring on the Joy” or “Marshmallow Christmas” (Ernie Haase & Signature Sound) but it’s still fun to listen to.  We hear the chorus to “Tell Me the Story of Jesus” near the end of the song, although the word “tell” is replaced with “sing.”  5 stars

Makes Me Want to Go - In my mind, this song can be to others such as “I’ll See You Over There.”  The music is somewhat similar with the guitars and other instruments, and the group even sounds a bit like Soul’d Out Quartet in parts of the song.  Not too much, but there are hints of resemblance.

Bring On the Joy - Here’s the happiest song on the CD, which you probably could guess from the title.  It’s a bit obnoxious in places (such as at the end), but mostly it’s not too bad.  The organ is fun, and gives a nice sound.  A choir comes in to sing the chorus a couple of times at the end.  3.5 stars

Jesus Is Alive - This song isn’t slow exactly, but it’s more serious, so it might give that impression.  The orchestration is pretty heavy, which of course is fine with  me.  The track features some really good power singing.  5 stars


Homecoming Day  - Really slowing down the pace this time, we have a fairly light ballad.  (at the beginning at least)  “Homecoming Day” probably won’t be remembered as a classic or a hit, although it is a terrific song.  I don’t really care for the first verse, though the second is slightly better.  There’s a choir, again, that comes in to sing the chorus and ending.  We don’t hear a lot of choirs in quartet music, although they are introduced on occasion, such as in “Jesus Saves” by the Mike Lefevre Quartet, and some different songs by Greater Vision (yes I know, a trio, not a quartet) and Signature Sound.  4.5 stars

More Than Able - Yes, this is the same song sung by Greater Vision on Live At First Baptist Atlanta.  If I had to compare the two, I’d probably say that GV’s is the best.  I can’t listen to Greater Vision’s version right now though, because a bunch of my GV/L5/Cathedrals/and other music mysteriously disappeared from my MP3 player a while back.  3.5 stars

The I Am - The first verse says that God has many different names that he is known by, but that the favorite (from the viewpoint of the singers obviously) is “I Am.”  I like the words at the end that state:

He Is I Am.

4 stars

There Is a City - Fast, fun, song.  Verse reminds me of another song that I can’t think of.  5 stars

The Climb - This song isn’t amazing, but it has some pretty instrumentation.  Some nice organ work, with percussion, piano, and soft guitars is pretty much all there is to the music.  It’s a nice light track.  Not mellow, but still soft.  I’m not really sure what all the lyrics mean.  3.5 stars

There Is a City - Fast song, with fun electric guitars.  Nothing spectacular, again, and not a hit.  But it’s OK.  A little bit of power singing near the end.  3 stars

Save My Friends, Save My Friends - This is a nice ballad that’s pretty mellow.  And it’s right where people are today.  I know so many people who have unsaved loved ones, especially unsaved children.  Part of the second verse says:

We all have friends so dear, living like they think they’re doing fine

Isn’t this so true?  It’s sad to see people that have grown up in a Christian home, that are mixed up in drugs, alcohol, sex, smoking, and all the other things that they find pleasure in.  This song really has a good message to it, especially since it’s so close to home with a lot of people.  4 stars

Comments:
If you like quartet music, then you should enjoy The Waiting Is Over.  It has some great fast songs, as well as some more serious songs like “Jesus Is Alive,” and “Save My Family, Save My Friends.”  I encourage you to consider getting it.  While it’s not quite as good as some of the years’ releases like Part of the Family, or We Will Stand Our Ground it’s better than a lot of the others like the Dove Brothers’ Unshakeable and IMO maybe better than Perrys’ Blue Skies Coming.  You can download a digital copy of the album, or purchase a physical copy at: www.crossroadsmusic.com.

Rating: 5 stars
Song Selection: 4.5 stars
Favorite Songs: “Songs of Zion,” “Makes Me Want to Go,” “Jesus Is Alive,” “Homecoming Day,” “The I Am”

Digital review copy provided by Crossroads Music

0 comments:

Post a Comment