Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review: Stetler Trio "Precious Friend"


Shout to the Lord - This song is much the same as the version on Forgiven’s summer release.  Most of it is nearly identical, although there are some notable changes, especially at the beginning  of the song, and with the piano.  And of course since Milton Smith produced the orchestrations for both CDs, and Julia Stetler was in both groups, the two songs will sound alike.

What a Precious Friend - I saw the Stetler Trio perform this song live when I went to a Christian event.  It’s a nice song.  Not really fast, but not too slow either.  It’s fairly light with a nice use of the organ and strings.  Part of “What a Friend We Have In Jesus” is sung as well as the title song.  This song was originally sung by the Kingdom Bound Quartet.

Happiness Is - This is the first song I ever heard from the album, which I found on YouTube.  It’s OK, but I wish more instrumentation would have been utilized.  I hear a piano, drums, and bass guitar.  It’s fast and jazzy.

Total Praise Medley - Slowing down the pace, we hear “Total Praise Medley” which was written by Richard Smallwood.  The orchestration is pretty heavy through different parts, but not the whole way through.  It’s a pretty song.  I like it, but just don’t have much to say about it.

Made Me Glad - I don’t have much to say about this song either, other than that it’s really good.  This is one of the few songs that Elisa (Stetler) Calderon gets a verse (or part of one anyway) to herself.  Her voice sounds older and more mature's than Julia's does.  That's not to say that Julia isn't a good singer!

More Than Wonderful - Written by Lanny Lavon Wolf, this song was formerly sung by Sandi Patty and the Gaither Vocal Band.  This version is really good and has some great power singing.  The chorus says:

For He’s more wonderful than my mind can conceive
He’s more wonderful than my heart can believe
He goes beyond my highest hopes and fondest dreams
He’s everything that my soul every longed for, 
Everything that he promised and so much more
He’s more than amazing, more than marvelous, more than miraculous could ever be
He’s more than wonderful, that’s what Jesus is to me

It’s an awesome song.  The music isn't as good as GVB's, but the singing is much better than Sandi Patty's.

He Washed My Eyes With Tears - This is a bit faster, and a bit less serious than some other songs, but not as much so as say “Happiness Is.”  It’s not a very strong IMO, but it’s OK.

Trust His Heart Medley - Very good lyrics.  The orchestration is nice and pretty light, although it gets a bit heavier in places.  We hear the organ playing in the second song which gives a nice sound.  

Isn’t It Amazing - If I were to write a full review of each slow song, the descriptions would probably be about the same.  “Isn’t It Amazing” is good just like “Trust His Heart Medley,” “Made Me Glad” and the others.  Sure they’re different songs, words, tunes, instrumentations, but I fear that I will repeat myself, so I’ll just say that this song was really good, like the others.

We Press On - I don’t like this one as well as some of the others.  The words and tune don’t really “grab me.”  The music can be compared to that of the other ballads.  Elisa handles the verses.  I’m not sure if I like her voice as well as Julia’s, but she’s not bad.

Will You Love Jesus More - I could entertain you with clever lines and tender words.  But if all I did was entertain you, I have failed in my mission.  When you leave this place, will you love Jesus more?  This needs to be the  theme song for all Christian musical artists to an extent.  They need to remember that the most important thing they could do is to tell sinners about Jesus’ saving grace.  They’re not just there to entertain, though that can be part of their purpose.  I believe the Booth Brothers sang this before.

Jesus Is Coming Medley - This is the same song that Greater Vision did on Hymns of the Ages.  The Stetlers sang it faster, while GV held back more.  It’s a pretty song, but probably could be improved by slowing down at the beginning.  The song seems too rushed.

Comments:
Precious Friend really is a good CD, but it could have been improved.  For one thing, there should have been at least two more (maybe three or four more!) fast songs.  There were only two truly fast songs when you count “Shout to the Lord.”  There are others such as “He Washed My Eyes With Tears” and “What a Precious Friend” that were maybe more fun, but not really that up-tempo.  You could compare this to saying that “Holy Hands” by the Triumphant Quartet or “Nothing’s Worrying Me” by the Collingsworth Family is fast.  Most of the ballads are really good, but some more up-tempo numbers would be awesome.


  • You can buy the CD here.



Rating: 4.5 stars
Song Selection: 4-4.5 stars
Favorite Songs: “More Than Wonderful,” “What a Precious Friend,” “Will You Love Jesus More?” “Total Praise Medley,” “Isn’t It Amazing,” and others

CREDITS:
Vocals: Elisa Stetler Calderon, Julia Stetler, Paul Stetler
Producers: Paul Stetler, Chas Payson
Piano: Paul Stetler
Bass: Darrell Lacy
Drums: Todd Walker
Orchestrations: Milton Smith 
Arrangements: The Stetler Trio
Studio: Echo Beach Studios (Jupiter, FL)
Engineer: Chas Payson
Photography: Churchill Photography (Hobe Sound FL)
Graphic Design: Brandon Hilligoss (Cincinnati OH)
Clerical Assistance: Lynn Hughes

Review copy not provided

0 comments:

Post a Comment