Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Inspirations


I made a comment on another SG blog a while back about not really liking a particular couple of SG groups.  One of the groups I mentioned was the Inspirations.  I’ve thought about this comment since I posted it, and realized that perhaps the statement wasn’t completely true.

While the Inspirations certainly aren’t my favorite group, and not even in my top 10 or anything like that, they do have some good songs.  They also seem to be more “conservative” than some other groups.  The main thing I don’t like about them is their music.  No drums and no orchestras.  It mainly consists of piano, and different guitars and stringed instruments.  You can’t label them as bluegrass, but they’re certainly not mainstream modern Southern Gospel music.

One particular song that I’ll mention, is “Cry For the Children.”  It deals with abortion, which, unfortunately, doesn’t get sung about much in Southern Gospel music.  It says that we’re concerned about things like the earth’s atmosphere and recycling, but we daily kill innocent babies.  Actually, this song, and the others from the same album did have drums.  I’m not sure what the reason for the change was though.  Now we’ll just have to work on that orchestra.  :)

Some other good Inspirations’ songs include:

  • I Know Where He Lives
  • Dealing With Gold
  • Stone’s Throw Away
  • If You Only Knew
  • How Great It Is
  • The Rose
  • God Makes No Mistakes
  • I Choose the Lord


I had to admit that when I listened to their latest album God Makes No Mistakes, it wasn’t quite as bad as I kind of expected it to be.  It won’t win “Album of the Year,” and might not be worth paying $15 for, but it’s not that bad.


0 comments:

Post a Comment